Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Dear Viewer's,

I am currently going through several technical difficulties in which my blog has been accidentally deleted due to logging into my account in South Africa. It assumed by me logging in   in a different country, that it was suspicious activity. Therefore, it will take a few days before I can begin posting photos, videos and posts to inform you of my amazing experience in South Africa.

On the other hand, I have landed safely in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and must say that the country is absolutely beautiful. South Africa is known to have great white sharks, whales and dolphins in their ocean; however, the group that I am studying abroad with have not had an opportunity to take a boat out on the water thus far.

What we have been able to do, is tour the local townships in which there is an overwhelming amount of "black" and "colored" South Africans who are living in extreme poverty, yesterday evening. It was a very emotional experience for me because we began touring an area that was extremely privaledged. As far as having homes with running water or even to simply have hot water. Some of the homes even had cars as well. But, as we began to approach the local townships of South Africa in which the "Black", "colored", Asians and Indians mainly lived, I noticed the crumbled and torn trash positioned all over the streets, on the grass and around the school buildings. SOme children did not have shoes on and others with not enough warm clothing seeming that it was an pretty cool day as far as the temperature was concerned. I noticed that their was more of a broken system in the townships than there was where I lived near the boardwalk on shore. I was absolutely overwhelmed by what I had witnessed. In the moment I felt helpless and I wanted to be able to provide for everyone that I was able to see that day. Than, I thought to myself, I am only one person... therefore, what can I do to inform others back home in the United States or on my blog about South Africa, so that may be able to experience what I did? I was forced to change my way of thinking, but it was not an easy decision.

To be continued...

Samorra Sasha`

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is a wonderful place (South Africa) to be when you see the land and the beautiful scenery. The ocean is amazing but like every city or state there is an underside. It's sad to see those communities with no power or even one working telephone. Children with no shoes or decent clothing can be heart breaking and make you want to do something. All of this can overwhelm you emotionally. In the end you come out of this experience with new insights and you'll begin to approach life different and appreciate the small things that we all habitually take for granted. You will be a stronger and most importantly a more socially aware woman/journalist after this trip. It amazes me how government can spend money on frivolous thing but not one cent on those who really are in need. It’s a truly baffling situation when you think of all you can do but no one else has done anything specifically their people. But stay safe and enjoy this trip and I look forward to reading more of the blog.

The Sasha` Journal said...

Dear David,

I truly appreciate your comment. You made several valid points, pertaining to the unjust circumstances that individuals living in the local townships are experiencing. Fortunately, there are several non-governmental organizations (NGO's) in South Africa that are making a huge impact in the community. For instance, there is an organization known as House of Resurrection, specifically houses children affected/infected with HIV/AIDS. This organization was specifically designed to prevent children from being out on the streets after their parents neglected them due to their illness. House of Resurrection currently houses children from the ages of five months (their newest member) to the age of twelve. In which the twelve year old will be turning thirteen on his birthday in just one month. A lot of the children in this particular organization have been subject to abuse and House of Resurrection began this organization so that these children impacted by HIV/AIDS may have a safe haven while living with the disease.

I hope my response painted a positive picture for you and other viewer's in hopes to enlighten individuals of how hard non-governmental organizations work to prevent children from suffering for the remainder of their lives.